For my news intake today I decided
to check back in on the Clinton coming to UNH. It’s not of utmost interest to
me because I couldn't help but run out and get a ticket to see him yesterday
after I read the article about it on the Portsmouth Herald.
So back
I went to where I started, SeacoastOnline.com and scanned for anything with UNH
in the title. Found it! A tweet from UNH Media Relations (@UNHNEWS), “Tickets
still available to hear Bill Clinton speak at UNH Wednesday. Pick them up in
the MUB beginning at 10 a.m.” (Retweeted by Charles J McMahon).
I couldn't help but think, seriously? Still tickets available? For a campus with such an
air of political interest and awareness, and this is going off the Romney
buttons going around and students for Obama tables that are stationed around
campus, I thought the tickets would have gone in a flash. Even I felt the urge
to go pick one up, they’re free after all, and how often do we get an opportunity
like this?
After I
stopped fixating on that I moved onto and article titled, “Tiered parking rates
advance in Portsmouth”. This drew me in because as a student here, I share a
special love for the quaint shops and restaurants that line the streets of
Portsmouth. That and the Starbucks. As a frequent customer, I was interested to
find out what I might have to change about my visits.
This
article focused on a proposal that was made to reduce the hourly parking rate
throughout the “low-occupancy” streets in the downtown area. The proposal was
passed after the second reading and will be considered on its third and final
reading on Oct. 22. If the proposal fully passes, “high-occupancy” streets will
charge $1.50 an hour, and “low-occupancy” streets will charge only $1. This will mean the lower occupancy streets
will be exempt from the 50-cent increase.
Resident
Ron Zolla said, “These higher rates are coming out of local’s pockets,” Zolla
said. “It makes a visit to downtown Portsmouth less attractive”. And I couldn't agree more. Paying to part in Portsmouth can really put a damper on your trip
there. I always feel obligated to stay and walk around until my meter or ticket
has expired, after all, I did pay for it. But with every swipe of my debit
card, or quarter I feed into a meter, a bad taste is left in my mouth. I think
that keeping the lower occupancy streets at a lower hourly rate is a great idea
for Portsmouth and will leave the residents and visitors happier.
No comments:
Post a Comment